Wednesday, January 11, 2017

First 2017 Dance

I see Rose has started her own blog about the dances on Facebook.  I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that subject.  You can probably guess what my opinion is.

The dance was quite good, with plenty of people to dance and a new fiddler named Rex who was excellent.  The caller was okay, not great.  I can't stand that one dance where you wander around the room rather than dancing in the contra dance line, and I'm not terribly fond of the four facing four dances.  Sicilian circles are okay, IF you get to dance with everyone, but the dance we did skipped three couples at a time, and the number of couples was a multiple of four, so we only got to dance with three couples out of the 24 on the floor.  Lou believes all callers should be musicians.  I think all callers should be mathematicians so they can see how the numbers are going to work.  I remember at one dance making sure that a double progression dance had an odd number of couples just so everyone would get a chance to dance with every other couple, but no one understood what I was about or why I was so adamant that there should be an odd number.

I wonder how many are going to be around for the Davie dance on Saturday.  I don't think I'm going to make it because I'm broke, but most of the regulars will be in Daytona for the Orange Blossom Ball.  But most of the regulars have not been going to Davie anyway, so maybe it won't make much difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before appearing.