Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Decent-er 3rd

A decent turnout for the December 3rd dance.  Not quite up to two lines but enough to fill the hall with one line.  More guys than gals again, which used to be unusual but seems to be occurring with more regularity lately.  Stepping Stones played and Brian called.  Brian attempted, with some success, to give us a couple of harder dances than usual.  I can't fault Brian for trying, but most of our dancers just aren't up to that level.  At least the contra corners went reasonably well.

I did get to announce the New Year's Eve dance once again, and while there is some interest, I still don't have a good feel for how many will actually come to the dance.

When I was in Valparaiso, Indiana, I felt like the callers called too many circles, squares, Sicilian circles, triplets, and other novelty dances, and not enough contras.  Down here in south Florida, I feel like we don't get enough of them.  The only one I really don't like is the four-facing-four arrangement, only because you get stuck with a permanent corner not of your choosing.  I have tried on occasion to pick my own corner, but most of the time it doesn't work.  The other problem with the 4-4 arrangement is you only get to dance with half the crowd.  The same problem occurs with the Sicilian circle, but by turning another willing couple, you can head back the other way and dance with everyone.  Picking your own shadow is also problematic, particularly if you don't know a dance with a shadow is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before appearing.